Monday, June 15, 2009

Imitation

Imitation they say is the highest form of flattery. I have noticed - particularly since my last post, that Alina makes a point to imitate me in everything possible. This came to me during church as almost a word of knowledge or wisdom... I'm not sure what you would call it.

Alina imitates me constantly. She is not old enough really to feel stupid or be ashamed because she is mimicking me. She is not old enough to think she isn't cool or feel dumb because she thinks she isn't good enough. She just watches me and does what she sees me do.

Christ calls us to be like little children. It's here that I think it important to point out that he says children, and not infants or babes. Babies do not know/aren't capable of making decisions for themselves. They can't decide what they want to wear, what they want to eat, or where they'd like to go. All those decisions are made for them by their mother/father. They are slaves to what you think they should do and the needs of their bodies (because they can decide when they are hungry!)

We, as children, make the decisions that infants cannot make. We decide to imitate those whom we desire to be like, those that we think highly of or spend a lot of time with. Christ wants us to imitate Him. To imitate him, we have to watch him and do what he does. We have to spend time with him and pay attention. We also have to get over feeling uncool or "not good enough" and just do what He does. We also have to decide to imitate him. If we can be childish enough to follow willingly, and mimic Him then we will become like him and start to look like Him.

Regardless of how much a child looks like a parent, most of the things that identify a child to their parent is mannerisms and characteristics. I want to be identified to my Father and I want people to look at me and see Him... That's the whole point, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment