Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Back to Work

Today I am back to work. It hasn't been bad. Yesterday was my first day back and I hated it. I wanted Judah with me, I didn't want to use an impersonal breast pump to feed my baby, I wanted to nurse him. I could complain all day about my manager but I'm trying to relax and honor my superiors (as Jesus did) more than beat them down behind their backs... which is really hard. Then we were an hour late to cell group because of the drive and such what-not so I was in a super bad mood about it... and then I dropped Brent off at work (oh, we share the suzuki now because the neon bit the dust finally) and had to go get him at 7AM this morning. Usually he drives himself and the times work okay for him to go to and from work and then for me to (since we work opposite shifts) but since we had cell group till 9:30 there wasnt time for us to go home and him to drive back to work by 10. We're trying to work out a new strategy for Mondays because I was so upset we missed so much and I only worked an extra 15 minutes late.

On the upside of the work side of my life, my breastpump is AWESOME. It's a double and its super quiet and it is concealed all nicely in this bag and looks like a messenger bag. Apparently these are common now, but I didn't know that. The last pump I borrowed from the health department was bulky and came in a big blue box and you had to carry a cooler as well and that was just akward to explain to your male co-workers. This pump all is hidden in this thing that may as well be a big purse, and it has a built in cooler and another compartment for all the pieces that attatch to the pump. I haven't had to inform any co-workers of what it is! Additionally, I am not going to be working in the Cleveland location anymore. In about 2 weeks, I am being moved to Hixon (which is about 20 minutes closer to my sitter). They are open 10-7 instead of 9-6 so I'll actually go in a bit later, and I'll get to work more house (I've been working 10-6 in Cleveland). And that equals better pay. And plus we're moving to individual comission and that means I'll make more money too because I'm a really good sales person. In the way of sales, I'm the honor role kid that got stuck in a class project with a group of failing students... the one that works more than the others but still gets the same grade.... :( But now I'll be recognized and paid for my own work.

Kids are doing great. Judah is 12 lbs and 9 oz at the doctor last - chubby boy. I had to put him in 3-6 mos and he's only 7 weeks. He's sleeping mostly through the night, and takes long naps during the day - in his crib. Its really wonderful. Well, I'm sure it is for the sitter anyway. In spite of this, I am exhausted. I am worn out. I am getting 5 hours of sleep (maybe). I almost fell asleep at the wheel like 4 times this morning. But. I'll adjust.
Alina has made a new best friend. There is a 7 year old little girl that moved in next door who has decided she adores Alina. Her name is Angel. Alina and Angel play together several times a week in our front yards. Angel is allowed in my house once in a while, but Alina doesn't go into theirs because I don't know this family that well. Her mom, Sheralynn, is nice. She gave me a ride into town once to pick up the suzuki because we had to have the alternator replaced in it... she's super talkative. Buuuuuuuut, I don't know the Step-daddy, and according to Sheralynn, her first hubby was a drug-adict sooooo (no offense to her) I really don't trust her judgement in men. Not enough to let my 3 year old in their house without Mommy or Daddy. Potty training is going beautifully. She has picked it up without much effort. She is begging me to wear real panties but I'm not ready for that yet - she still wets her pull up at naptime (not at night, I don't know whats the difference). And, she hasn't figured out how to poop in the potty. I think it has mostly to do with having the patience to sit on the potty long enough to have a bowel movement. (sorry, TMI I'm sure.) She has finally (almost) graduated to size 3T. The pants are still too big in the waist, but shirts and dresses need to be that size because the 2T size is FINALLY too little.
Raziel is bigger than ever. He is 18 months and is wearing 2T's. He and Alina could pretty much wear eachothers clothes if they needed to. He has his little schedule down pat and prefers to stick with it. He does really well with an organized lifestyle. He has decided Judah isn't too bad, but mostly ignores him. If Judah cried in the first week, Raziel would hit him and say "stop" or "no." It was too funny! (that's awful, I'm laughing because my 18mo old hits my newborn... I blame the exhaustion) Raz has settled down to sitting on him while I'm nursing (trying to), taking his pacie away when Judah actually wants it, and stealing every blanket or cover ever put on the child. They'll probably be best friends when they get big.

I am cuponing again. I am driving down the interstate a few exits down and buying the Atlanta paper on sunday because those cupons are the best. We FINALLY got our foodstamps and they are giving us $750 a month! That's waaay too much money, really. Tamara thinks it's probably so high because we have an infant and we are potentially buying formula. They didn't ask if I was breastfeeding on the paperwork. So we got a partial month for April ($300), and then we get it for may and june at least before we go over the income limit and loose it again. And, that means that I have $1800 to spend on food this summer. So I did what any frugal house-wife would do (although I don't think I qualify since I work) and I'm clipping cupons, shopping sales, and filing my pantry and my M-I-L's chest freezer with food that will keep for a while and planning not to have to really buy groceries til 2011 :0 because WIC pays for things like fruit, bread and milk that would go bad after a few weeks of waiting to be used and I don't pay for that either.

In other news, Brent is adjusting beautifully to his night shift job and has decided that it was God's handiwork to put him there and that he's glad of it. He is now surrounded by Christians and even has formed relationships with a few guys his age with families (and family values too!). He gets along superbly with his bosses and supervisors and all but one of them think he is awesome and that's really good. He even might be in line for a promotion (though he wouldn't get the raise until November because of that car he wrecked last November) He sleeps just fine now that we aren't there to make a ton of noise... he claims it didn't bother him when we were home but he also couldn't stop raving about how well he slept Monday (first day I went back to work).

Ok that's about all for now. I'm gonna do a seperate post soon with new pics of the kids. I'm so glad to be back blogging again.


  1. I'm glad you're back! I was so glad you wrote about not letting Alina at the neighbor's house. For some reason, as soon as I read she made a friend, my heart got heavy...but only for a second. You're such a good Mama. They say the kids that get messed with are the ones whos mama's don't pay enough attention them and we both know that isn't true of you:-)
    Glad everything is running smoothly, that's all we can ask right?

  2. Nat just started at MUSC on the 1st of April. But Saturday was her first 24 hr and apparently Harper kept asking "where's mommy?" She started her night shifts yesterday, and they seem to be adjusting (Nat, Smith and Harper). I know, or at least I've heard, switching shifts can be hard. But I'm glad to hear Brent likes it and I'm glad to hear that ya'll have worked out a system. The kids sound like they are adjusting well and I'm glad Judah is growing, I was worried with the heart stuff. Glad you are back in the blogging world:)